PhD-ing, or how to sing "I will survive" making it sound believable...

6 Mar 2012

Today my journey begins...

Here we go! My PhD has officially started and I am right now sitting in front of my laptop, trying to focus on a paper whilst two people are speaking loud, sitting less than 50 cm far from me. Will I survive? I'm used to work alone at home...

Ok, let's face it: is easy to procrastinate when you're alone at home. There are so many things to do at home: repainting the ceilings, removing spider webs, how long it's been since you last cleaned the oven? But still, it is easier to focus (after you've repainted the ceilings and removed all the spider webs and cleaned the oven... twice!) when you're completely alone at home, than when surrounded by other people. Am I right?

Have you ever shared an office? How have you survived?

www.phdcomics.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ajajajajajaj

gemma said...

Just a couple of ideas:
You can always go to the library if you need much concentration, but then have lunch with your colleagues.
And also, whenever there's people and noise around, try to do some work that doesn't need concentration.

llenguaddicta said...

Thank you, Gemma! I'll definetely do that. (Specially the "have lunch with colleagues" part). ;)